On May 23rd 1964, the American Embassy officially opened its new Chancery building on the corner of Eglin Road and Pembroke Road in Ballsbridge, Dublin 4.
The US first opened a consulate in Ireland in 1859 in a building near Adelaide Road. It was one of the first countries in the world to recognise the Irish Free State and established a legation in the US Ambassador’s Residence in the Phoenix Park.
The Embassy was designed by an American architect, John M. Johansen, in consultation with the prominent Irish architect, Michael Scott. On the building’s open day, the official programme stated: “Being circular as the placement of the 13 stars in the first American flag, it symbolises unity and strength … This form also enables the building to face in all directions, friendly and attractive from any angle.”
To mark the occasion, the embassy has released a short video which explains how the building was designed and built, and how it has been a focal point for Irish/American relations over the past 50 years.